We could not have asked for more perfect Seattle weather. While a bit chilly, it was sunny and gorgeous. Keith and Jen have a 30 ft. boat, so we were boat camping. We spent Saturday afternoon at the beach on Blake Island with a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier in one direction and downtown Seattle in the other direction, had a great dinner on the boat, Jen and I ate WAY too many Symphony Brownies, and the kids wore themselves out playing.
I wish that I could say that our weekend was perfect, but unfortunately, there were a few bumps in the road. On Saturday night, Celia fell into the ocean while she was trying to jump from the dock back into the boat. While she was just fine, and held onto the boat like a champ, the mommy guilt and the “what ifs” have been killing me all week. Every time I think about my baby girl falling into the dark ocean without a life jacket, I feel sick to my stomach.
Unfortunately, that wasn’t the worst part of the trip. Long story made short….Coron ended up in the ICU at Valley Medical Center. What we thought was a terrible stomach bug ended up being a terrible case of ketoacidosis…dehydration due to very high blood sugar. Again, the guilt has been consuming me all week. While Coron was throwing up all day, we sat on the beach watching the kids play. We thought it was the flu…we let him throw up in peace. We should have been taking him to a hospital. Now we know.
Although the traumatic parts of this trip are still way too fresh in my mind, one day I will remember this as a great trip spent with “The Miller 5” and will look forward to doing it again. Coron and I feel so fortunate to have family members that we consider some of our best friends.
Fortunately, we got some beautiful photos before the chaos ensued…
Mt. Rainier...


~J





No comments:
Post a Comment