Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Passing the Torch (or the turkey, in this case)

This year, I will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. Somehow, I have managed to fly under the radar for the past 35 years and have never, I repeat never, had to make a turkey. While I feel that I have always been very helpful in the kitchen on this very chaotic holiday, I’ve never been the one to make the grocery list, do all the shopping, research the recipes, clean the house, thaw the turkey, or make sure there’s enough place settings, seating, and serving spoons.

I must say…it’s a hell of a lot of work!!

So on these days leading up to Thanksgiving, as I run around like a turkey with my head cut off trying to get everything prepared, I will be thinking of my wonderful mother and mother-in-law who have let me be the “helper” all these years. I have a new found appreciation for you both.

And next year, you’re welcome to have your job back!!

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment