Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Lesson in Disappointment

For the first time since becoming a mother, I discovered what it's like to feel complete and utter heartbreak for one of my girls. Today, after much anticipation, Ella tried out for a part in The Missoula Children's Theater production of "The Pied Piper". As you might have guessed, she did not get a part. I had to sit in a large auditorium filled with over a hundred kids and adults and listen to the director rattle off dozens of names, names that sounded nothing like "Ella Polley". I wasn't sure how she was going to react, but the minute our eyes connected after everyone was dismissed, I knew that she was crushed. She immediately started crying and in perfect overly emotional fashion, the tears started running down my cheeks too. I was heartbroken for her. I tried to get us out of there as quickly as possible, and when we finally made it to the car, she completely lost it. I thought I had done a good job of preparing her for the possibility of not getting a part, but apparently I didn't do a very good job. I think the hardest part for her was that the other girls in her class got a part. I really had no explanation for her other than trying to help her understand that life will be full of disappointments and we just have to keep trying.

They'll never know what they missed out on...

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment