Thursday, May 20, 2010

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I love to read! I'm fairly certain that since learning to read I've always had a book in hand. I read every night before I go to bed, no matter how tired I may be. Oftentimes, I fall asleep after only reading a couple of pages, but I still have to read. I think there is nothing better than curling up on the couch and losing myself in a good book and it amazes me that there are actually people out there that never read. I just don't get it.

Of course I've secretly hoped that the girls would have this same love affair with books...and I think that time has come.

Thursdays are library days for Ella at school. There have been many Thursday mornings where I hear a "Woohoo" coming from her bedroom and when I ask her what she's so excited about, she says, "It's library day". Last Thursday, Ella brought home a book called Ivy + Bean which is the first in a three book series. As soon as we said goodnight to her, we told her she could read her new book for awhile. An hour later she came downstairs and said that she had read 76 pages. I knew it was going to be difficult to get her up in the morning! Friday evening rolled around and I asked Ella if she had brought her library book home so that she could finish it. She said, "I finished it, Mommy....I took it out to the playground and finished it".

Ahhhh....my sweet, nerdy, little bookworm. While the runner in me would never encourage her to miss getting some exercise during recess, the book lover in me was so happy to hear about her new-found love for books.


My eager reader...

Very close to finishing The Secret Garden with Daddy...

I look forward to sharing my most favorite books with the girls one day.

~J

P.S. Tonight when I said, "Goodnight...I love you" to Ella, she completely ignored me because today was library day and she was reading her new book. Now that we might have to talk about!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pics! Of course, I have a couple of bookworms myself, who take right after me. I love love love sharing books with the kids. (Do you read my reading blog?) The Secret Garden is on our list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to read, have since i was little. my daughter didn't and it made me so sad - to think that she wouldn't be able to explore all the worlds i had explored without ever leaving my house! last year though, she discovered the twilight books and it was like a lightbulb went off! then a few months ago, i bought her a kindle, and honestly - she's putting me in the poor house with everything she is reading. its a good problem to have though. :-) congrats on being such a great example for your girls!

    ReplyDelete