Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hi, My Name is Jennifer...

...and I'm an addict. A running addict that is.

On Tuesday, I was all ready to go for a run in the afternoon. I went into the bathroom at work to change my clothes and realized I had forgotten my running shorts = no run for me on Tuesday.

On Wednesday morning, I spent 3 hours at the Dodge dealership in Wenatchee getting the engine fixed...the engine that we just got less than 6 months ago. After restraining myself from telling the service manager where he could stick the leaky plugs in my engine because he told me that the warranty didn't cover that particular problem, we headed home to Chelan. Now that Celia is finished with preschool, and Ella is almost out for the summer, I am going to have to get a bit more creative about timing my daily runs. After not being able to run on Tuesday and then having a really crappy Wednesday morning, I needed to run! I called up my trusty father-in-law and asked if I could drop the girls off for a bit.

This is where my day started going from bad to worse...

On my way into town, my cell phone rang (Yes...Mr. Police Officer. I still talk on my phone while driving. And so do you. I see you on your phone every day while I'm running). I didn't recognize the number, but after answering realized it was one of Coron's employees. She said, "Coron is passed out. He's breathing, but he's non-responsive. The ambulance is on its way". Well of course I knew what was wrong and I would know what to do in that particular situation, but all of the people he works with were freaking out (rightfully so). I told her I was on my way and would be there in 20 minutes. While driving down there, I talked to her a couple more times and also talked with the EMT who apparently doesn't have a clue what he is doing. Anyway...long story short, by the time I was halfway down to Desert Canyon, Coron was doing better. He just needed some sugar and all was better in his world.

However....things were not better in my world. I didn't get to run. And while I am ashamed to admit it, the fact that I wasn't going to be able to run was the first thing I thought of when I hung up the phone with Coron's employee. I know my husband well enough to know that he was going to be just fine. He just needed a little orange juice. Although I think the arrival of his concerned wife perhaps made him feel a little better too.

Fortunately for me, all the great folks at Desert Canyon told Coron that he needed to go home for the day. I still got to run.

There are definitely worse things to be addicted to...

~J

1 comment: