Saturday, August 22, 2009

Deja Vous

I think you can pretty much just refer back to this post back in June:


I did the exact same thing this morning. The only difference is that unfortunately this was only my first 20 miler, so I still have one more to do in a few weeks. Also...instead of the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Marathon, I'll be running the Portland Marathon on October 4th.

As you might recall, shortly after running my last marathon I was seriously considering training for another one because I wasn't totally happy with my finishing time. At the end of that post, I asked for advice. That very same day I got a phone call from my mom. I was sure that she was going to give me the typical, "You should really just rest. Isn't this bad for your knees?" spiel. However, she actually said, "I think you should just do it. You're not going to be satisfied until you at least give it another try, so just do it." I definitely didn't see that coming. Now that I look back on it, I'm sure it was just her very sneaky way of getting me to bring her granddaughters to Portland so she could see them. I don't always take my mom's advice, but in this case, I listened to her. I'm all signed up and my training is in high gear.

I must say that I'm exhausted. Training for two marathons that are within 3 months of each other is difficult. Getting up early has been a chore and I'm pretty sure I've mumbled, "Why the hell do I do this to myself?" on several occasions. But I'm committed. I have no idea if my goal is even attainable, but I'll give it my best shot.

Next week, Coron and I will be doing our first race together...Nike Hood-to-Coast Relay. Along with our 10 teammates, we will be leaving Timberline Lodge at 8:00 next Friday morning and will hopefully end up in Seaside midday on Saturday. It's 190 miles, and each of us will run 3 legs of the race. I'm really excited!


I'm off to rest my very sore legs...

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment