Saturday, June 6, 2009

It's Time to Taper!!!!

I did it! I completed my second 20 mile training run this morning and for the most part, I couldn't have asked for a better run.

I was not looking forward to this run. As I mentioned in my post earlier in the week, I've had some tough runs since my first amazing 20 miler and my confidence level was quickly plummeting. I decided to try and "reenact" my first run since it went so well, so I headed down to Wenatchee this morning at 5:15 to run on the Apple Capital Loop Trail. I LOVE this trail. It's exactly a 10 mile loop, so I just run twice around. Why oh why does Chelan not have something similar? We have the perfect setting, but no trail system to speak of.
This is the lovely Apple Capital Loop Trail

Anyway...as I drove into Wenatchee this morning, I immediately started to panic. The trees were all bent sideways and there was dust blowing all over the place. It was SO windy and I knew I. WAS. SCREWED!!! I figured at that point there was absolutely nothing I could do about it, so I went and parked the car, got ready, and headed out.

Fortunately, the wind was at my back for the first 3 miles, so that was a nice way to warm up. Then I crossed the bridge into East Wenatchee and that's when it got tough. The wind was really blowing, but I managed to run through it. At about mile 7 (one hour into my run), I scarfed down some Cliff Blocks with caffeine and I felt amazingly good miles 8-12. I'm not sure if it was the Cliff Blocks that did the trick, but I felt so good I actually decided to run 22 miles instead of 20. Things were just fine for awhile, but then I really started getting tired. I changed my mind at mile 18 and decided there was absolutely no reason to push it and go 22 miles. I finished strong and was SO happy that my run was complete.

After a good stretch, I headed back to the car, stripped off my sweaty shirt and shoes, grabbed my towel, and then walked into the Wenatchee River Columbia River (after my first 20 miler I told Coron that I stood in the Wenatchee River...he told me I needed to check my geography). The wind was still blowing which made for a very chilly "swim".

So...I've reached the peak in my marathon training and now it's time to taper down until the big race on June 27th. This part of the training is actually tough, because I have to constantly remind myself that I've done what I can do, I've completed the hard stuff, and cutting back on my mileage is what I'm supposed to do now. Marathon training is such a mental thing!

When I got home, I had two sweet faced little girls come into the bathroom and say, "Daddy said he would do everything to get ready if we can go camping tonight". How could I say no to that? There's nothing like running 20 miles and then sleeping on the ground!!

Stay tuned for a camping report.


~Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Your so awesome girl!!! I love reading your blog and live vicariously through your amazing ability to run, and to run well! And not only are you amazing at running, your a fabulous Mommy too!! Hope camping was fun and your back les not hurt too badly.

    ReplyDelete