Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Highs and Lows of Marathon Training

Training for a marathon is tough.

I know that I'm in good shape, and I know that I'm very capable of finishing a full marathon. I just wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, the ultra-competitive person in me doesn't want to just go out there and run a marathon. I want to go out and race. I want to cross that finish line knowing that I have done everything in my power to do my very best.

Two weekends ago I ran my first 20 mile training run. I went down to Wenatchee and was on the river loop trail before 6:00. With the exception of my watch battery dying halfway through my run, and not having a clue what my pace or mileage was, the run couldn't have been more perfect. I finished in 2 hours and 51 minutes and felt GREAT. I stood in the Columbia River for awhile afterwards to ice down my tired legs and then went about my day. I was on a definite runner's high. All was right in my world.

Fast forward one week....

This past weekend was a "rest" week, which meant I only had to run 12 miles for my long run. I went into it thinking that it was no big deal. I didn't do anything special to prepare for it. I probably didn't drink enough water the day before. I felt like complete and utter crap. I knew one mile into it that there was no way I was running 12 miles. I barely managed to squeak out 6 miles and ended up in tears by the end. I did end up getting up on Sunday morning and doing the 12 miles, but I still didn't feel great.

Basically, ever since that fantastic 20 miler, I haven't really had a good run. The heat is really getting to me and I know I haven't been properly fueling my body. This weekend is my second 20 miler. I'm hoping and praying that I have another great run. I NEED another great run to boost my confidence because as of right now, I feel that crossing the finish line might be all I have in me.

~Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment