Ever since Ella's first birthday, I have felt the need to throw elaborate birthday parties. I have handmade every single set of party invitations and wouldn't think of going and buying a cake. It was just one of my "things". At first, I think I did it because I truly enjoyed all of those little details. However, after several birthdays and the addition of another child to our family, my self-induced birthday craziness has become rather overwhelming.
A recent medical scare has forced me to sit back and really look at my life. What I've decided is that there are certain things that I need to give up. While I still don't have a clue what's wrong with me, I can't help but think that unnecessary stress and anxiety about the small stuff isn't helping matters.
Today, Ella celebrated her 6th birthday (once again) with her school friends. The fact that her birthday was actually almost two weeks ago was making me feel a bit guilty, but I just couldn't figure out the logistics of everything with a trip to San Francisco and then a trip to Oregon just a few days later. So...we had it today. And guess what? I bought the invitations (gasp). I didn't plan a single craft or game (gasp). I set out bowls of pretzels and Cheetos (gasp). And while I couldn't bring myself to buy a cake, I did make a simple round cake that was a big hit with all the little girls. We went to the park and I sat in the sun, snapped some photos, and watched the girls play.
Maybe this simplifying stuff isn't so bad afterall. Now if I could only convince myself that it's perfectly o.k. to leave the house in the morning without making all the beds, I'd be a new woman!
Some photos of Ella's party...
The Birthday Girl



The Birthday Girl's Sister
The not-so-lovely, but very easy, cake!

The inside of the cake....very exciting to a 6-year-old girl!

The girls

Zoe, Hailee, and Ella
Ella and Bella

~Jennifer
No comments:
Post a Comment