Monday, February 23, 2009

The Best Kind of Memories

Growing up, I would have to say that the majority of my favorite memories took place at the baseball fields, at a state football game, or in the RHS gymnasium watching basketball games from the upper level. My brother played baseball for as long as I can remember, so I was the kid that got dragged to all the games. But I loved every minute of it. I ate more Frito pies then a human being should probably ever eat in a lifetime and ate sunflower seeds until my mouth was raw from all the salt. I also remember having some of my first crushes on my brother's baseball friends (and was mortified when he told them about it).

When I got into high school, our weekends were spent traveling to football games. For those of you that watch "Friday Night Lights", one could easily compare the Dillon Panthers to the Roseburg Indians. Our town was all about high school football.

I hope that my girls have similar memories....the kind that come from just being with friends and family. I never felt deprived because we didn't take lavish vacations that cost thousands of dollars. I was happy with day to day life.

This past weekend, our family headed up to Omak to cheer on the Chelan boys and girls varsity basketball teams. We felt like the girls were finally old enough to make it worth a trip out of town to watch two basketball games and stay up until 11:00 p.m. Of course our biggest decision was trying to figure out the very best time to head to the concession stand for the much awaited "treat". The girls did very well, got their treat, and both fell fast asleep on the way home. The next day, Ella said to me, "Mommy...I know you think that my favorite part of the game was getting my candy, but it's not. My favorite part was spending time with my family".

Ahhh...she gets it.

~Jennifer

p.s. While we were watching the game, the lady sitting behind us leaned down and said, "I think your girls missed the memo that said pink is NOT one of our school colors". I guess it's time to purchase some Chelan Goats shirts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment