I have very little patience for wimpiness. I guess this is something that I've always known about myself, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. When I was teaching, I had students that would come up to me in tears because they had gotten hurt. I have to admit, that most often my response was, "Are you bleeding? Are you dying?". If the answer to both of those questions was "No", then I usually said, "You'll be fine". Perhaps that wasn't the kindest way to deal with the situation, but when you have a room full of 25 first graders, that was usually the easiest way to handle it.
I feel the same way about my own children. I want them to be strong, independent little girls who aren't afraid to take risks and try new things. I don't want them to be the kids sitting next to me at the lake, the pool, or the playground because they're too scared to take a risk.
So here's some proof that we are not raising wimpy kids...
Ella insisted that she ride the mechanical bull at First Friday this month
Over 4th of July Weekend, we spent the day at Coron's Aunt and Uncle's house. His cousin, Keith, decided it would be a great idea to hook up a zip line that went from the driveway, down the hill, and into the lake. When we first arrived, I figured there was absolutely no way that the girls would try it. I guess I was wrong...


~J
That's awesome! I also tell the kids to "brush it off" if they fall and hurt themselves (mildly). Evalina is naturally more of a thrill seeker than Philip, but neither of them is what I would call wimpy. Good job, Mommy!
ReplyDelete