Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Heidi!

My best friend, Heidi, and I have known each other since we were 6 years old. So the fact that Heidi is turning 35 today seems very strange. That means that we have been celebrating birthdays together for 29 years.

As we go through life, there are many people that walk in and out of our lives, but there are very few that touch our lives the way that Heidi has touched mine. We have been friends for 29 years and I don't think there has been a time when we have gone more than a few days without talking to each other. Since graduating from high school almost 17 years ago, we have rarely lived in the same state. Even across all those miles, our friendship has endured. Heidi is my rock. She is a constant in my life that I can always count on.

Just now, as I write this post, one of my co-workers came into my office laughing. Her daughter, Bella, and my Ella are in the same kindergarten class and have become very good friends. She came in to tell me that Bella is absolutely infatuated with Ella. Not only does she talk about her all the time, but she also plans her wardrobe around what Ella might be wearing and has to confer with Ella before getting a haircut (right now they have the same "do"). Last night, Bella told her mom that she just loves Ella so much that she "wants to kiss her on the lips". This made me smile. While I can say with complete certainty that I have never wanted to kiss Heidi on the lips, I know how Bella feels. I know what it's like to have a friend that you love with all your heart. My hope is that when my girls are adults, they'll have that one special friend who knows them like no other and who will love them unconditionally.

Heidi...on your 35th birthday, I want you to know that I am a better person today because you came into my life all those years ago. I love you...Happy Birthday!


Heidi and I back in 7th grade sportin' some cool white pumps! And are those mullets?
Right before we kicked ass in the 2008 Girlfriends Half Marathon!
Ella and Alyssa playing together while waiting for us to finish the Eugene Marathon...
the next generation of best friends!!
Our 2007 Girls Weekend in Portland...
we've improved so much since those "white pumps and mullet" days!

~Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I've said many times that one of my biggest hopes for my girls is that they each have a "Kelly" in their lives. With friendship that true, you can make it through anything!

    Happy birthday to your Heidi!

    Love the 7th grade pic! :)

    ReplyDelete