I can see it already...my dad is reading this, shaking his head, and thinking that I'm seriously crazy. While he was a very proud dad when I crossed the finish line at the 2007 Eugene Marathon, he was also there the days following when I could barely walk (I ran with an injured calf). He didn't think that running another marathon was probably in my best interest.
What my Dad doesn't know is that the feeling I got when I crossed that finish line, with all of my family cheering me on and my best friend at my side, was the BEST feeling I've ever had. In a lot of ways, I compare it to childbirth. The hours of pain are easily forgotten because in the end it is so worth it. Granted, I was not holding a beautiful baby girl at the finish line, but better yet, I had my two little girls cheering me on along the way. One of my favorite parts of the course was at mile 22. I was anxiously awaiting this mile because I knew that my family would be at this point and I was exhausted. When I got there, as I ran by giving high fives to everyone with a smile on my face, my dad shouted out, "Hey...you're really going to do this!" Of course I was going to finish. I knew this all along. As Lance Armstrong said, "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." I had worked for months to get to that point and run countless miles. There was NO way I wasn't going to cross that finish line.
So...I'm finally ready for my 2nd go at the marathon. Unfortunately, I've struggled with injuries over the last couple of years, so I know it's not going to be an easy feat. And now, my major dilemma is which marathon to run. Heidi and I are going to run together again, but we seem to have different opinions on what is important in a race. Heidi prefers a smaller race and doesn't care so much about cheering fans, music along the course, or aid stations. I, on the other hand, thrive on the excitement of a big race. We've narrowed it down to two races. The Foot Traffic Flat Marathon on the 4th of July is a very small race on Sauvie Island just outside of Portland. It's supposedly the flattest marathon in the Northwest which definitely appeals to both of us. However, it's VERY small. The other marathon we're considering is the Seattle Rock 'n Roll Marathon. It will be big and loud and there will be lots of support along the course. Unfortunately, it might also be a bit on the hilly side. They have yet to release the exact course, so we're not sure yet.
Regardless of which race I end up running, I hope to gain that wonderful sense of accomplishment that I did nearly two years ago. I love that I have found something that I look forward to doing every day. Now let's all just keep our fingers crossed that my lower body will cooperate.
~Jennifer
No comments:
Post a Comment